Saturday, November 11, 2006

John Kerry, Tommy Franks, and the $400K Ass Chewing

Take some time today to think about our veterans, past and present. I will be at the fire station today but I plan on taking my crew to the veteran's memorial in Owasso.
I had a long talk with my son last night. Mostly I did the talking. His grades are less than spectacular and his priorities are a little misguided. (Not that I have room to talk). He will be 16 in April. I told him about the remark that John Kerry made last week, the one about the lack of education and it's relation to the military. I told Kristofer that even though it raised a big stink, there was some truth in it. Right now there are American troops all over the world. When he turns 18 Kristofer will have to register for the draft. We are only one major conflict away from drafting young men. Last night I listened to General Tommy Franks on talk radio. What a great American, and Oklahoman. He was questioned about his feelings on the draft. He, for the most part, was against it. He stated that the American military was the greatest in the world, and that it was an all volunteer military. He does favor the Israel system of mandatory civil service post high school. Not just military, but other civil position. He had some realy good ideas. General Franks is building his museum and leadership institute in his home town of Holburt, OK. I can't wait to go see it. While I was away at the FSIO conference in Stillwater the City of Owasso opened bids for the new fire station. I came in at $400K over estimate. Chief Clark had to justify this amount in a meeting with the City Manager. Apparently Chief took a decent ass chewing but (or butt) the CM approved the amount. Progress is great and expensive. While in Stillwater I took several leadership workshops. The best by far was on leading different generations in the work force. Very good stuff maynard. I will start next weeks blogg's on that issue, unless something else just pisses me off........... KMD

1 comment:

MUD said...

I read that leadership is the art of getting people to do things that you don't want to do and have someone else do it and thinking it is their idea. It is tough to listen as well as talk but that is probably the best thing a leader, parent or friend can do. I like Tommy Franks too. For an Oakie he'll do. MUD