Saturday, January 27, 2007

Employee Evaluations Do Not Work.

I have come to the realization that employee evaluations do not work or do not give an accurate picture of the employees's performance. This week I had my annual employee evaluation completed by my supervisor. Though overall the evaluation was good, it was full of what my wife calls a "compli-cut." That is a compliment that also doubles as a cut down. One quote from the evaluation read "Kris is very knowledgeabe and confident in his abiltiy, how ever this keeps him from being a better officer." What the hell did that mean. I got no explanation from him on that. There were other areas that were also like that. I signed the evaluation and checked the box marked "I disagree with this evaluation." When I turned the evaluation back into him he read over it and asked "are you sure you want to turn this in?" I replied "yes sir." The next day I was at work and the Fire Chief asked to talk to me about my evaluation. He said that the comments that I wrote were fine and that the evaluation was less than accurate. He then quoted Albert Einstein "Great spirits often face violent opposition from mediocre men."

3 comments:

Muskiedine said...

Hello son
Pa and I read this blog and Pa wanted to know who your supervisor is?
Then Pa looked at me and said
"OPIE?" I laughed out loud..

Love ya
Ma & Pa

MUD said...

I have evaluated at least a thousand officers and subordinates in my work life experience. It is tough to help people grow and make them know they are appreciated. The best evaluation I ever got was the time mine was overdue and I asked my boss if he minded if I wrote it myself. I gave him a draft and he used it word for word as I wrote it. It was honest and sincere. I really got to point out my strengths and mentioned some weaknesses (goals for the next period) Might be worth your time to fillout a goal worksheet and fairly fill it out when you prepare for an evaluation. After all, it is an annual thing and yoiu know when it is due. Moist bosses just fill out the dam things just to get them done. MUD

Rebecca said...

Not Opie...he's a sweetie pie.