Tuesday, January 16, 2007

"Hey Man, I Found a Leg"

The academy is going well and we are almost done with the first half. Yesterday the recruits learned and practiced search and rescue inside a building. After the lecture we did the practical part of the module. We set-up the bunkroom at station 1 as an apartment. We used an old rescue manikin as our "victim", we call him Manny. The bunkroom makes a great search and rescue area because we can completely black it out. No light at all. As we were posing the manikin he lost a leg. The manikin is in bad shape (much like Buster from Mythbusters) and I guess the wingnut that held his left leg in place came loose. (That is so wrong on so many levels.) We had the recruits work in teams of 2, wearing full bunkergear and SCBA. The first crew ent in for a search. I was using our thermal imaging camera to monitor thier progress. The camera allows me to see in the dark. The crew went into the and started to search the room. The first thing that they found was Manny's loose leg. They shouted out "Hey......I found......uh, uh,......a leg." What about Barak Obama running for president?.....What if either him or Condi jumped ship and they teamed up? Sweet.

8 comments:

Lexie Ward said...

Ha! That reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine found the mannequin that looked just like her and then Kramer started kissing the mannequin to make some girl think he had a girlfriend and then the mannequin's arm fell off and then... and then...
I've spent too much time in the house with the kids this week.

Rebecca said...

Yes...funny episode about the mannequin. I love Kramer.

Lexie Ward said...

I can still see him sitting in that car kissing the Elaine-like mannequin and her arm just falls right off.
Hilarious!

Rebecca said...

Oh...sorry Kris. Lorrie and I got on our own rant there.

Oh and if I haven't told you lately you are the love of my life. Talking to Kris here.

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

I remember academy...so much fun!

MUD said...

I always wonder just what was so bad that the author removed it? I can't imagine anything that bad. Oh well, Becky needs to get out more she is starting to do multiple posts. Go Hawks.
MUD

Jenn said...

it was me...I have this annoying feature (sometimes helpful but sometimes annoying) on my computer that fills in log in fields. When it fills in the field for commenting on blogger it put's 'My new KU sweatshirt" in the comment section. (must have been what I was commenting when it originally saved the log in) I looged in and forgot to check. I thought it would confuse everyone and perhaps they might send the men in the white coats.